Technology boon has led people to save tons of confidential and extremely vital data on virtual files. Yet, only a few have installed a full-proof cyber security system to cope in case of an attack.
Do you know how to act if there is a security breach in your highly crucial database?
We have compiled a 5 step procedure that will assist you in taking an organized action in such urgent situation of cyber attack.
1st Step: Stay calm and gather your experts
A composed approach is a call in such unnerving cyber attack state. A lucid plan should be set up to counter the problem smartly.
For success of the strategy expertise from related areas will be needed such as:-
- Excellent IT personnel who can both track and resolve the technical errors that caused the security breach.
- Corporate Affairs team to handle media and customer links (if required).
- Privacy officer, for private and legal data breach.
- A legal group, if the breach can lead to lawsuits.
2nd Step: Restrict the Breach
Finding out what & where the breach is and curbing it immediately. This will close the opening via which data is being stolen. It will save the damage from being massive as your servers won’t be open for a longer time span.
This can be done by-
- Patch installing- it safeguards from virus & technical errors
- Feeding in fresh passwords
- Cutting out network accessibility and blocking user accounts/& devices having virus/malware
- Removing all sources that can cause the breach such as spam emails
3rd Step: Calculate the severity level of security breach
To evaluate the seriously of the theft:-
- Find out what sort of information has been stolen
- If the stolen information had details about personal identity or medical data, it is very serious. Anonymous data are considered less damaging
- Find out whether the data theft was intentional or accidental. That will throw light on how to proceed to manage the situation.
4th Step: Notify It
Practical notifications are adopted so that those affected can take steps to save themselves. For example-
- The sufferers can save on their own by credit/debit card cancellation, feeding new passwords etc.
- For personal identity theft, the Privacy Commissioner may be informed.
- Relevant third parties should be informed too. This can help them to keep a strict look-out at untrustworthy channels.
5th Step: Guard for Upcoming Times
To ensure that such breach does not occur again, the following measures can help:
- Consult with a cyber security top-class professional
- Correct all the loop holes by polishing the team with the current upgrades. Additionally, examine every remedial measure regularly.
The 5 steps when incorporated can sort the issue. These can also prepare you beforehand in case such a situation ever arises. An intelligent move would be to fix a meeting with a premium cyber security company. After all, only a specialist in the field can provide you 100% guaranteed security.